One of my very favorite bloggers does this end of the year quiz and asks others to join in, so here goes:
1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before?
Learned to knit. I am surprised by how much I love it.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don't make resolutions. I can't stand the New Year's holiday, so ignoring resolutions is my little "screw you" to the day.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
4. Did anyone close to you die?
My Grandma. Although she and I were not particularly close, seeing my Mom lose her Mom was absolute torture.
5. What countries did you visit?
Crazy land - also known as our home, most days of the week.
6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
More patience as a parent. Oh, and more money. Always more money.
7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Gosh, I am not sure. We had a few big days this year, but nothing exceptional comes to mind. I am sure I am forgetting something though.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Working on my marriage. It sounds hokey, but we had a pretty fairy-tale marriage until this last year. It was the first time we really had to work on staying happy with each other, and we did it. That makes me feel very lucky that I am married to someone who is as committed as I am to being genuinely happy together, not just existing together.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Oh, I screwed up a job interview or three. Live and learn.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Just car accident related pain. Hopefully this trend has left the building.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
An IPod touch for Ben. He so totally deserves it, and he is so much fun to buy for.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Almost everyone I love did something truly extraordinary this year that blew me away and left my heart bursting with pride that I know them.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
My own. I am often careless with my personal things, and this year I really fucked up and lost my wedding ring. It makes me sick just thinking about it.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Bills, bills and more bills. And the grocery store. And gas. Really fun stuff!
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
The election was pretty exciting!
16. What song will always remind you of 2008?
Hmmm, I don't know. They all kind of run together.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? About a wash.
b) thinner or fatter? A bit thinner.
c) richer or poorer? Again, about a wash.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Listen. Especially to Margot.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Eat. And maybe spend a little less money, although I don't know where the hell we could have cut costs.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
It felt like all we did was travel, but we did see family. Which was awesome.
21. Did you fall in love in 2008?
22. What was your favorite TV program?
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
No people, but man I hate my car. Waaaay more than I hated it last year.
24. What was the best book you read?
Three cups of Tea. Amazing.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
26. What did you want and get?
A knitting needle organizer! Seriously, I really wanted one. And I got a FABULOUS one. I think this question is supposed to be a bit deeper, like "Oh, I found the meaning of life!" or something, but the needle organizer is really cool, you guys. Srsly.
27. What did you want and not get?
A better job to support my family with.
28. What was your favorite film of this year?
I really liked Dark Knight. We didn't get out to the movies much though. I am sure I am forgetting something.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
31, and I didn't do much. Just went to work.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Keeping off all the weight I lost. I have gained a bit back. It sucks.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
Super tight to super baggy to somewhat tight again. See above.
32. What kept you sane?
Drugs. Ha! Just kidding.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Michelle Obama. She is awesome.
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
The fact that you can get cash back off an Oregon Trail card. Unreal.
35. Who did you miss?
I miss all of my friends and family who are not close to Portland, but in particular I really miss Deb! I feel like my sister has moved out and gone away to college or something.
36. Who was the best new person you met?
I met Kerry Tomlinson, who is a reporter and does the "Dirty Dining" series on Fox. I got the scoop on all the Portland restaurants!
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008.
Hang in there - Tomorrow will be better.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
"Tale as old as time, song as old as rhyme... beauty and the beast." I think that CD needs to join the witness protection program. It is all Margot wants to hear in the car.