Thursday, November 15, 2007

Toddler Beds?

Margot fell out of her crib the other day. We were waiting for the time when she would try and crawl out on her own, and the time has officially come. She has been very content to remain in her crib prior to this, and has never even hinted at wanting to crawl out.

We are now in the process of getting her new room ready. We have decided to give her the guest room and convert her current room to the extra bed. The guest room has much more space, and we have big plans for making it a little toddler oasis. I am excited to get it done!

My question is this - should we spend the money and get her a toddler bed, or should we just go straight to a twin or full bed? And how do you keep the little ones in their bed for sleeping once they figure out the bars are gone?

Any experience out there?

6 comments:

Jason said...

Lauren-
If you figure out how to keep her in the bed without any bar(bituate)s let me know. We haven't figured it out yet. It's still a fight most nights. As for the the bed issue I see nothing wrong with going to a twin bed. That's what we did with Zoe. We then moved her to a toddler only when we needed extra room for the next kid.

Jason

The Clarks said...

I have no experience on the bed fight, but I would vote for going straight to the twin bed for no other reason than it will save you money in the long run since you won't have to buy another bed later. Good luck with the bed battle . . . maybe you could use some mosquito netting to entangle her when she tries to leave the bed . . .
:)

Lauren said...

Jach - you made a funny! I love it!

I am considering the mosquito netting, Trisha. That's a great idea! :)

The toddler beds are SO CUTE, but I think we may end up going with the twin. It would be kinda nice to lay down with her at times.

carrie said...

Lauren, we just went straight to a twin bed. However, her crib turned into a toddler bed and we have that in OUR room, so technically she has both. Her twin is much more comfy than the toddler bed, and I think she likes that it's a "regular" bed - it makes her feel grown up. As far as the getting out of bed... all I have to say about that is, if you figure it out, PLEASE tell me! :)

INSANITY ENJOYED said...

Hahaha..stay in bed..hahaha! The best I could hope for was staying in their rooms and thats only because I put doorknob covers on the inside of their doors. Just make the room fairly toddler proofed and you're good. Made the mistake of taking off the covers...now both of them think they need to visit me during the night *sigh*
We went right to a twin with Ben and did the toddler bed route with Ava. Twin was better. The toddler beds are cute but have you ever tried to lay in one of those (because she will want you to!)Umm yeah, not that much fun.

Lauren said...

That's a good point, Gen. I can't envision myself FITTING in a toddler bed. Um, no.