Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Happy Birthday, Baby

One Day Old

Margot woke up this morning one year from her birth, almost to the minute. Yes, it was an early morning, but unlike last year at this time, we spent the night before sleeping. There was also a notable lack of pain, blood, and people standing around our bed. Of all the difficult experiences to relive from the day she was born, I think an early morning beats them all.

That said, it seems like it was just yesterday that it all happened. In one short year, she's gone from an oversized newborn blob flitting in and out of the NICU to a willful toddler waving at everything and always finding new places to put cheese. The transformation into a little person has been stunning. A year ago, I couldn't have imagined her the way she is today, and now I have trouble remembering how she was then.

When I can, it's easy to miss the days when she would sleep for hours in my arms. When she would snuggle up close with me and a bottle and folding her into a swaddle blanket. When she was content to just stare at us or hold a toy. When being with her was quiet and peaceful.

Not that I want that back.

Now instead of passive interaction, we do things together. When I read, she follows along (with the pictures, at least). When we play, she can take it in her own direction. And when we're sitting together on the floor, and can crawl up on my lap and snuggle with me because she wants to, not just because she's hungry.

Sure, now we're constantly running after her, separating her from whatever it is she wants to play with that could kill her, and cleaning up the ever more epic mess at meal time, but I'll take it. Watching her grow up, and, with Lauren, helping her grow up, is the most fun, exciting, scary, frustrating and joyous thing I've ever done.

I love you Margot.

Happy Birthday!

One Year Old

No comments: